I was born 1974 in Germany, moved with my lovely wife Melanie to New Zealand after she finished her PHD in 2005 and ended up in Perth, Australia. I am into sports and healthy living but I am not taking myself to serious with that. I love golf, though I am terrible and my favourite sport would be MMA and boxing (sparring only with helmet as I really need my brain).
I have two wonderful kids that I absolutely adore. My son Ben is born in 2007 and has a decent punch already. My daughter Sarah joined us in 2010 and you would not believe how much she can eat. I am a family man and I love spending time out in the parks and at the beach with our dog Mocha. I am also into fishing, tennis and snorkeling.
All at all I lead a pretty active life-style. I also love my work. I am constantly educating and developing myself further and I am always thriving to be the best I can be in any given topic. A good example for this are my poker skills. Some day I decided to learn about poker. I must have read about two dozen books and really got into it. The effect of this is that every time I wanted a toy which my wife wouldn’t allow me to buy, I called up my friends for a nice game and made the money for it… how handy is that?! Well, some say that a lot of people in my poker round where quite happy when I left New Zealand J.
I am passionate about the things I do and I work hard to produce the best result I can. That is just who I am and people seem to respond to that in a very positive way as I seem to have the gift of inspiring others.
I am an experienced and accomplished project leader in the IT industry with more than 13 years of experience in complex corporate ventures and project rescues.
Supplying sustainable, high-end corporate IT solutions with focus on quality and added value using a motivated and scalable network of senior developers while reducing cost by cutting overhead.
- Sustainable: Focus on what the business really needs
- High-End: Projects with high value for the business and high monetary potential for us
- Quality: Perfect compliance to specification without unnecessary gold plating
- Added value: If something doesn’t add value we will not do it
- Motivated: Convenient work. Fair Compensation. Pride in the team.
- Scalable: Development process driven scalability by using work packages
- Senior: Every individual is an expert
- Reducing cost: No waste for management layers
I have more than a decade of project management and leadership experience in the IT industry and also took part in ventures in the transport- and the construction industry. Working in both the corporate environment and managing my own company has given me a 360 degree insight into all facets of project management and system development. I spent most time using lightweight agile PM to manage development teams and external suppliers for international stakeholders. I came across many technologies, mainly open source and my background as system developer enable me to effectively manage projects of all degrees of complexity and size.
I have a very flexible and people focused approach to management: Whatever gets the job done! I have a deep understanding of the project management framework (PMBOK) and I am able to adapt to the existing environment. I also bring technical expertise and a lot of common sense to the table. But aside of that I learned that whatever one attempt, the most important thing is to get the right people on the bus. I have a lot of great contacts in the IT industry from consultants to developers which I love to bring into the project if it makes sense.
I focus on team work, a positive attitude and transparency. I enjoy leading by vision and collaboration. I use open channels and clear communication to create solid relationships.
The most important thing for me is quality. I will always get the best people I can get and deliver a result that is as close to perfect as it makes sense within the given constraints. I will reject projects when I believe that I wont be able to deliver a top quality result with the other project constraints in pace (time and money).
- Created the world’s largest Drupal 7 implementation
- Successful project rescue and launch of a multi million dollar ERP system
- 80% of my contracts where generated by returning customers
- PMP and PRINCE2 Practitioner accreditation
- Involved in the IT industry for more than 13 years and always kept on top of the technology
- Worked out a great development process providing scalability and quality
- Created a worldwide network of top senior software developers
- Key skills
- Getting things done (seriously)
- Communication and theory-Y leadership
- Full lifecycle project management
- Procurement of top talent world wide
- Entrepreneurial background (built successful IT agency)
- Deep understanding of IT systems and business processes
- Experience in large corporate developments
- Professional Interests
- Leadership: Helping businesses to function better
- Teamwork: Alignment of team members and corporate goals
- Governance: Giving the right tools to the right people
- IT consulting: Project rescue and multi platform systems
Please contact me for suggestions, questions or just to connect to a fellow project manager. I am always happy to share ideas and get into discussions.
Please email to email@example.com.
You can also check me out on LinkedIn under http://www.linkedin.com/in/michaelzwiener. Feel free to invite me to your contacts if you think that might be interesting for both of us.